Hey everyone, Latesha (Bookish Girl Magic) here for yet another post of Spill The DiversaTeaBy now, you have heard of the events that took place in Atlanta. I'm not going to preach to the choir about the history of this country when it comes to some of its inhabitants *insert Mother Maxine Water's side-eye here* but what I will do is provide a few book recs by way of some favorite Asian American & Pacific Islander Authors. As usual, these are YA and Middle Grade.
- Rin Chupeco: The Girl From The Well & The Suffering; The Bone Witch, The Heart Forger & The Shadowglass; The Never Tilting World & The Ever Cruel Kingdom; & Wicked As You Wish
- Sandhya Menon: When Dimple Met Rishi, There’s Something About Sweetie & 10 Things I Hate About Pinky; From Twinkle With Love, Of Curses And Kisses & Of Princes And Promises (6/8/2021); and under Lily Menon-Make Up Break Up (adult).
- Mary HK Choi: Emergency Contact, Permanent Record & Yolk.
- Nandini Bajpai: A Match Made In Mehendi & Sister Of The Bollywood Bride (5/25/2021)
- Renee Ahdieh: The Rose & The Dagger and The Wrath & The Dawn; Smoke In The Sun & Flame In The Mist; The Beautiful & The Damned
Samira Ahmed: Love, Hate & Other Filters; Internment & Mad, Bad, And Dangerous To Know; Amira & Hamza: The War To Save The Worlds (MG 9/21/2021)
- Kelly Yang: Parachutes (YA); Front Desk, Three Keys & Room To Dream (9/21/2021) (MG)
- S.K. Ali: Love From A to Z, Saints & Misfits and Misfits In Love (5/25/2021), Once Upon An Eid (Co-Authored with Aisha Saeed, MG)
- Marie Lu: Legend, Prodigy, Champion, Life Before Legend & Rebel; Warcross & Wildcard; The Young Elites, The Rose Society & The Midnight Star; Skyhunter & Steelstriker (9/28/2021); The Kingdom Of Back
- Gloria Chao: American Panda, Our Wayward Fate & Rent-A-Boyfriend
There are so many other Asian American & Pacific Islander authors that I love and would happy to recommend in another post. There are also a few Asian owned bookstores and here is a list of those bookstores:
- Three Gems: https://threegemstea.com/
- Us Two Tea: https://www.ustwotea.com/
- Alaya: https://alayatea.co/
- Suraj Spices & Tea: https://www.surajspicesteas.com/
- The Qi: https://the-qi.com/
Song Tea & Ceramics: https://songtea.com/
- Té company: https://tecompanytea.com/
- Stop AAPI Hate: https://stopaapihate.org/
- National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum: https://www.napawf.org/
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance: https://www.nqapia.org/
- National Council of Asian Pacific Americans: https://www.ncapaonline.org/
- Organization of Chinese Americans: https://www.ocanational.org/
I hope you decide to support these authors, bookstores, tea companies and organizations. This doesn't just mean that you have to spend money but requesting these authors and other AAPI authors/books from your local libraries, follow them on social media and share their posts. You could also share words of encouragement because everyone could use uplifting these days!
Anyway y'all, I hope these short lists are helpful! Feel free to find and follow me on all of the social media platforms: Instagram @bookishgirlmagic, Twitter @bookishgrlmagic and Clubhouse @bookishgrlmagic, especially on Tuesdays for the Pub Day: YA Edition room under the Diverse Shelves club for more bookish banter! Also Find and follow DiversaTea Reads on Instagram, Pinterest and facebook!
I'm wishing you all happy reading and sending Bookish Love your way!